George Meade's Lighthouse Lanterns

Several lighthouses designed by George Meade, both new towers and improvements to existing towers, used a distinctive style of iron lantern presumably of Meade's own design. These lanterns three rows of triangular panes, a foot ledge around lower astragal ring, and a hand rail around upper astragal ring. The roof is angled rather than curved, there is a hand rail around the roof near the edge, and the cupola/vent is cylindrical instead of the much more common ball vent.

Lighthouse
State
Designer
Lighthouse
Constructed
Lantern
Installed
Lantern
Manufacturer
Status
Notes
Jupiter Inlet FL George G. Meade 1859-1860 April 1860 Merrick & Son active original lantern
Cape Henlopen FL George G. Meade 1767 1856   destroyed new lantern
Sombrero Key FL George G. Meade 1855-1858 1858 Merrick & Son extant original lantern
Sand Key II FL George G. Meade 1852-1853 1853   extant not the lantern originally designed for that lighthouse,
but the first installed there
Cape Florida II FL George G. Meade 1846   Merrick & Son extant new lantern for extended tower
current lantern is a modern replica
historical lantern is an outdoor display

Sources:
"Lanterns For Lighthouses" Philadelphia Public Ledger, 10 Oct 1855